Thursday 30 April 2009

A worthy effort

Today is a good day, a productive day, today (training wise) I'm on top of the world.

The day got off to a good start in that when the alarm rang (at 5:50) I actually did get out of bed and get my rear end to the gym. I got on the bike and did a 30 minute workout at a harder level than usual on a hill programme - the total distance was 17.5km which was satisfying. I'm on course for a sub 35 minute ride if I do manage to translate time on the exercise bike to actual time on the road.

I followed the 30 minutes with a 5 minute run at 10.5km/ph ... faster than I usually run over the longer times/distance and hopefully it will be a sign of faster times to come.

That was the morning session.

This evening I decided to head back to the gym and into the pool. You will recall my last swim was a 1k slog which I intended to surpass either in terms of time or in terms of distance. I managed to do both. I calculated that the 750m sprint triathlon distance took me between 20-25 mins and I kept on going. Before long the 30 lengths (750m) of the 25m pool had become 40, after which I went for 50. At 49 I was still feeling fairly good so I decided to plough on and go for the magical (for me, yes) 1500m, double the required distance for the sprint triathlon and the distance of the actual olympic triathlon. I am really really chuffed with the effort. It is, in fact, the furthest I've ever swum in my life.

For the first time in my training sessions I've actually done all three events in one day. God only knows how sore I'm going to be tomorrow, but whatever the result, its been worth it.

2 comments: