Sunday 11 January 2009

the weekend

so the weekend is over, and its been an interesting weekend. Yesterday I had my gym induction. So I trotted off to the gym to meet with one of the trainers to go through a workout etc. I must first say that after the swim I was very very stiff and not just the shoulders and arms, but my legs and my butt (which I must admit, surprised me somewhat).

So with a stiff body, the trainer put me through a weights workout (which I must admit, I did not fully enjoy, bearing in mind the stiffness).

As I've been reading through some triathlon books (they will be my companions throughout this journey, "Triathlon for Dummies" being a particularly apt example) I read that one possible way of getting rid of some stiffness is to have an 'active recovery' session ... i.e. a workout at low intensity which just helps to get blood into the stiff muscles and reduce the inflammation etc.. So... I jumped on the bike and had a low intensity 20 minute cycle, followed by some power-plate assisted stretching.

Waking up on Sunday morning I'm afraid the 'active recovery' session didn't quite have the desired effect ... stiff is an understatement.

Bearing in mind the stiffness, with hindsight, a skiing lesson may not have been the best idea, but that is exactly what I got up to today, on a dry slope in Chatham. My adductors, abductors, quads and calves are screaming at me ... "What the F*&K!" is currently the most common expression I'm getting from my legs in general.

90 minutes of skiing did the trick for alternative exercise but I am now officially due a rest day. Whether I do have the rest or not will depend on how I feel during the day. Clare is planning a pilates work-out tomorrow evening, and I may join her in doing so ... pilates would be a useful addition to my training regime.

For all those sending messages of encouragement, thank you ... they are all very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment