Wednesday 21 January 2009

Getting back on the horse (with a bit of a wobble)

So after my determined rant on Saturday, I got up at dawn on Sunday (please note the effort, but also note that dawn is a measly 7:30am here in London at the moment so not particularly early) and went to the gym. In an effort to avenge (and punish) my laziness over the week I pushed hard with an 18km bike ride (about 35 mins) on a hill workout followed by a 1.5km jog on the treadmill (which I must admit was a bit of a killer after the bike) and then 12 minutes on the cross trainer. After which, being a bit of a glutton for punishment, I went on to do a chest, arms and back weights workout, with a choice of weight which was light(er than usual) ... just enough for me to be able to do 3 sets of 20 reps. Having not done any weights whatsoever (except for the saturday before) in months, my body wasn't best pleased with the effort.

Bring on the next week and lactic acid stiffness ruled the day on Monday, I was shattered sore and in need of a break (or so I convinced myself). Swimming with a sore back and sore arms isn't the best of ideas.

Tuesday, and the lack of discipline reared its ugly head again, still slightly sore at 5:45 am (yes ppl that's when the alarm clock rings for me to go to the gym) I excused myself from training pledging to leave work early and get to the pool in the evening. In my defence, though it is still sort of my fault, I get home at 8:30pm, usually still with an hour's work left to do, and wind down thereafter, so I only end up going to bed at midnight. The thought of working out on the back of 5 and a half hours of sleep is not too appealing. Leave work early(ish) I did, get to the pool, I didn't. Being a lazy sod I didn't even go for a walk with Clare just to have done something. So disgusted at myself I went to bed early (or earlier than usual) and I did get out of bed at 5:45 and I did my blooming swim!

1.1km with 10 breath breaks after every 75m (3 lengths). So i've increased length of the swim overall and the lengths between stops, which are both positives to take forward. Technique wise, I notice that I flow better on the first of every three lengths and struggle by the third, that will have to be worked on in time as the fitness improves.

I should be back on the bike tomorrow morning (should being the operative word), but it may be a long night at work so we shall see the state in which I wake up tomorrow.

1 comment: