Thursday 8 January 2009

I can, can I?

Today is a big day ... today I signed up for the London Triathlon! That's it, commitment made! On the 1st of August I will be swimming 750 metres, cycling 20km and running 5km all the way (I hope) to the finish line. Its called a 'sprint triathlon'.

I am going to use this blog for many reasons ... amongst which I hope to keep a log of my training, motivate myself, and record the various trials and tribulations that I will no doubt face. Feel free to leave thoughts, messages, advice and comments as we go along.

I am currently overweight, unprepared and massively unfit and I have just under 7 months to complete the challenge.

I also hope to be raising money for charity in the process of doing so and I will update you further on the charity and the way you can donate to the cause if and when you feel you wish to do so.

For the record I had my first training session yesterday. The next couple of months are going to be largely endurance based training, geared towards building up a fitness base on which I can then build up event specific and race specific training. With that in mind my first training session consisted of the following:

10 mins bike
20 mins cross trainer
7.5 mins stepper
approx 10 mins of powerplate stretching/exercises
chest flys and chest press (3 sets of 12 reps on light weights)

Its not going to be easy staying away from heavy weights (I prefer to lift weights rather than lighter, conditioning exercises) so discipline will be key as bulk is not going to be helpful for this challenge.

Onwards and upwards! I look forward to sharing my experiences with you

Il-G

2 comments:

  1. Prosit Sur G, a very worthy endeavour with added health benefits :) Will be glad to support by giving a wee contribution to the charity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not going to be easy staying away from heavy weights

    ...b-b-but will you still have your saxxy arm muscles? :D

    ReplyDelete