Friday 9 January 2009

the first swim

Second training session and this time I opted to go for a swim. The swim section of the triathlon, I must admit, is my biggest concern out of the three disciplines and today was a bit of a shock and a wake up call which has made me aware of just how much work is required in order to put on a decent show.

So I trotted off to the gym, as one does at 8:45pm on a Friday night, got into my swimsuit and headed into the pool. The 25m pool was ideal to allow me to pace myself (and indeed pacing was needed).

The plan was 2 lengths at a time (i.e. 50m) following which I'd take a 10-15 breath break and start again. I didn't have a specific distance I wanted to swim but I had it in my head that the 'work-out' couldn't last less than 20 minutes.

In the end it was a half hour 'swim' (breaks included) and I swam the race distance, stopping every 50m and swapping stroke (100m front crawl and 100m breast stroke).

Though slightly demoralised I am now all the more determined to do the hard graft. I need to be swimming a lot more and I need to work on technique ... time to do some research.

1 comment:

  1. chin up. :)

    when i came back to malta in 2005 i subscribed to the ta' qali pool. alone. i used to get bored senseless, and always lost count of how many 25m lengths i swam. then i came up with the alphabet system. during the first length, think of something that starts with A. during the second length, B, etc. but have themes and make it fun. sometimes i'd think of places (Austria), sometimes drinks (Beer), sometimes people (Ci..Mario). :p

    sometimes you end up swimming the length and not coming up with anything for that letter. but who cares, the length's over :D

    irsisti dude. the more you swim, the better you'll regulate your breathing and stroke, and the easier it gets.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete