Saturday 17 January 2009

Trials and Tribulations

This week has not been a particularly good week on the training front. Two of my major obstacles have reared their head in all their glory this week and its not been a good time.

I have in 6 days, managed only one training session (shame on me). And the reasons behind all this are two: (1) indiscipline; and (2) work.

Monday, and Friday were examples of issue no. 1, while Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday were examples of no. 2.

It is going to be difficult to keep going ... I have to conquer the indiscipline and work around work ... easier said than done but we (i.e. I) will persevere. A combination of long days at work (starting early) usually mean I'm too shattered to get to the gym the next morning (or unable to because of early meetings).

Friday and Saturday were classic examples. After a long day in the office on Thursday (was in the office by 8:15, meaning I walked out the door at 6:50 and got home at 11:45pm) meant that when the alarm went off at 5:45 am on Friday, I barely registered it, let alone got out of bed. After yawning my way through half of Friday I had a long sleep Friday night and woke up late Saturday morning (around 11:30am). I had work to do today and spent most of my afternoon doing it. Finished at around 6:45 and as the gym closes at 8pm on Saturday I didn't have enough time to get down to the gym for a workout.

On the bright side, I did get to the gym on Wednesday and went for a swim. And the positive was, Emerson's tip worked. I managed to keep track of the lengths I was swimming and I did in fact swim a whole 1km of front crawl, taking 10 breath breaks after each 50 metres. I think (I can't really ascertain this on my own) technique is improving slightly also (or maybe fitness is, its hard to tell).

Here's to hoping I'll manage to fit the gym in tomorrow and for much of next week! Its time to put in double effort.

3 comments: