Monday 11 May 2009

Sod's law

Just when things were going well ... and yes, notwithstanding my moans about my swimming, they were going well ... an injury occurs, in the most bizarre of circumstances.

As I posted yesterday we drove to Reading for Clare's horseriding day. About one hour and fifteen minutes into the drive I got a sharp pain around the joint between the leg and the foot. It feels like muscular pain and it hurt to press the gas.

I didn't think much of it. It hurt and I got on with it. But it didn't hurt majorly. I went for my swim and went about my training. This morning the picture was somewhat different. Every step of my right foot hurts ... I (possibly stupidly) played the football game anyways ... adrenaline kicked in and I didn't feel much. It only hurts with specific movements but when it does it hurts like a b*&$h. This evening I've rubbed in muscle gel into the lower leg and decided to give my run a miss. I'll make up the workout on the rest day or double a workout on another day.

I'm really really miffed. Properly miffed, because I don't want to have to stop.

I've lined up a swim coach meet on Saturday to start working on technique properly and all I want is to stick to my schedule. I know I don't need to follow the schedule to the letter but I still want to as much as possible.

Bugger, bugger, bugger.

3 comments:

  1. Where does it hurt?? The bottom of your foot in the arch???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its the ligament connecting my shin to my foot, so at the front of the ankle. It feels a lot like shin splints but not on the shins (obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummmm...let me Google and talk to my coach. I haven't heard of that one and I have seemed to get every injury while training known to man. Maybe you could go to a Massage Therapist...usually they can "feel" the injury better than most doctors. Speaking of, I will talk to mine and she what she says. The thing is you want to catch this before it gets to the point where you can’t train. I had such bad IT bands when I first started that I had to miss 4 races….boooo! Remember MICE… Move, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Only ice for 15 min intervals otherwise you can do some damage to the tissue. Ice for 15, off for 30mins, back on for 15, and so forth.

    ReplyDelete